Frequently Asked Questions





If this page does not answer your question, please contact registrar@umcamping.org or call 833-588-2267 option 1.


Q: I registered online, but my registration does not show up on my account page.

A: You must pay at least the minimum deposit for your registration to be saved.

Q: What school grade should I use to register my child?

A: Use the grade your child will enter in the fall. Once your camper graduates high school, he or she is eligible to attend high school camps the summer immediately following graduation. Enter “13” or “graduate”.

 When registering online, the software will calculate your child’s grade in relation to the date of the camp event, and will show you the events available for your child. If the event you want does not appear, it is because your child is not in the grade range for that event.

Q: Why can’t I register my camper for Lake Louise Camp, Bay Shore Camp, or Camp Michigamme through you?

A: Those camps are affiliated with the United Methodist Church, but are independent entities. All registrations and transactions are handled by them. To reduce the possibility of error, please mail all applicable payments, scholarship requests, and other requests directly to those camps.

Q: Why can’t I find any events for Judson Collins, Camp Kinawind or Crystal Springs?

A: In January 2020, the MAUMC Board of Directors announced Judson Collins would not operate for the 2020 season. In February 2019, the Board of Directors shuttered Camp Kinawind and Crystal Springs. There were a variety of factors that went into this decision. For more information, you can contact the Executive Director at executivedirector@umcamping.org.

Q: My son can’t decide whether he wants to go to camp. What is the latest I can enroll him?

A: As long as there are still openings in the camp event, you may register him anytime up until the day the event begins. Please call 833-588-2267 for availability.

Q: What should I do if the camp I want is full?

A: Please register early! The online registration system will put your camper on a waiting list if the event is full. If an opening becomes available, you will be notified by email and the opening will be held for 2 days. You must claim it by then or it will go to the next person on the waiting list. If your camper is placed on a waiting list, there is no charge until you are notified of an opening and you activate the pending registration. It may be helpful to enroll in a second choice event that has no waiting list, as there is no guarantee that an opening will become available in your first choice event.  If one does, the fee you paid on the second choice will transfer to the first choice event. If you mail in your registration, mail early and please list a second choice of events. Openings often fill during the time it takes for mail delivery.

Q: Can I still register by mail?

A: You can, but we encourage you to use the faster, more efficient online registration process. Camps often fill during the time that a mailed registration is in transit. Online registration immediately confirms that you have secured a place for your camper in the camp event of his or her choice. It saves time and postal expense. In addition, online registration reduces errors. It allows you to edit your account, and make payments and print receipts at any time. Online payments may be made by Visa, Mastercard or Discover, or by E-check. If you need a paper registration form, you will find it here.

Q: I need financial assistance. How do I apply for a scholarship from Michigan Area United Methodist Camping?

A: Download the scholarship application. Have a pastor sign your completed application to confirm financial need, then submit to the Camp Registrar as directed on the application. Scholarship awards are not considered until a camper is registered and the $75 deposit has been paid. Funds are granted with individual consideration, but MAUMC cannot grant more than $50 per camper.

Q: Where do I send applications for MAUMC Scholarships and First-Time Camper Rebates?

Email them to the Camp Registrar at registrar@umcamping.org, or mail them to MAUMC, 2307 W Maple Rapids Rd St Johns, MI 48879. Scholarship and rebate forms must be mailed or attached to an email; they cannot be processed online or by phone.

Q: What if I still need additional financial help?

A: Check with your local church. Churches are very supportive of United Methodist Camping, and many offer camp scholarships.


Download Rebate Coupon

Q: Can siblings use the instant rebate for first-time campers?

A: Yes. Your returning camper can invite a sibling who hasn’t attended before, and both will get the same rebate that the first-time camper earns.

Q: Does my first-time camper qualify for the rebate even if no other camper invites him?

A: Yes, but the rebate form still needs to be completed for the rebate to be applied.

Q: What is the difference between the $25 and the $50 rebate?

A: The $25 rebate is for campers staying 4 nights or fewer. The $50 rebate is for campers staying at 5 nights or more. A returning camper always receives the same rebate as the first-time camper that he or she invited.

Q: Is the rebate automatically given to first-time campers?

A: No. You must apply for it, by mailing or emailing the coupon, which is available here. Exceptions and sending instructions are noted on the coupon.

Q: Can I use the rebate as a credit on my account?

A: Yes. You may pay your fee in full, minus the rebate amount. Once the coupon is received and deemed valid, your account will be credited for the remainder.

Q: What if I pay in full? Can I still claim the rebate?

A: Yes. Simply send in the completed coupon. Your account will be credited, and we will either refund the amount back to the credit card you used, or you will receive a check for the overpaid amount in the mail within approximately 3 weeks.

Q: If my child is going to one camp location, and the friend she invited is going to another camp location, can they still claim the rebates?

A: Yes. As long as the events qualify for the rebate (see the coupon for list of disallowed events and locations), then the location does not matter.

Q: I applied for the first-time camper rebate; why didn’t I receive a rebate check?

A: If you applied for the rebate before the camp balance was paid in full, then the rebate would be applied to the remaining balance of the camp. If your account is paid in full before the rebate application is received, then the rebate will either be refunded back to your credit card (if you paid with a credit card in the past 90 days) or a rebate check will be mailed. Please allow 3-4 weeks for mailed rebates.


Q: How do I pay the registration fee?

A: When registering online, you may use Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or e-check. By mail, you may use check, money order, or written credit card information. Checks and money orders are payable to MAUMC, and must be mailed to MAUMC, 2307 W Maple Rapids Rd St Johns, MI 48879. There is no physical location for hand-delivering registrations or payments. All payments (including donations and fundraising proceeds) must be mailed to the address above. Do NOT send cash in the mail.

Q: When must the registration fee be paid in full?

A: The full registration fee must be paid two weeks before your camp starts. This allows time for administrative processing. If you pay later, your camper may arrive at camp and still show an unpaid balance.

Q: Is there a way to set up automatic payments for my camper’s registration fee?

A: Yes! Once you make the reservation and pay the minimum deposit, you’ll click on “Make a Payment”. Then you will select your method of payment and scroll down to the bottom and check the box that says “I would like to schedule additional payments using this payment method.” Then you’ll be able to pick the dates your payments are made and also the amount you will pay each time.

Q: What if my church is planning to pay part of the registration fee?

A: The payment of the registration fee is your responsibility. Please make sure the church knows your camper is enrolled, and that the church pays its part of the fee at least two weeks before the first day of your camper’s event.

Q: Do I lose my deposit if I change my child’s enrollment to a different camp?

A: No. Your deposit, as well as other payments and credits, will transfer to the new event, even if you change camp locations within the MAUMC family of camps.

Q: Our family had a change in plans and I have to cancel my camper’s enrollment. Can you refund the fees I paid?

A: The $75 deposit is non-refundable. Other payments may be refunded if requested at least 14 days in advance of the start day of your camper’s event. If you cancel within 14 days, fees paid (including fees paid by your church) are not refundable. You also could check the website or call the Camp Registrar to find another event your camper could transfer to instead of cancelling. Emergency exceptions are left to the discretion of the Site Director.

Q: What should I do if my camper needs to cancel, or change to another event?

A:  Cancellations and transfers cannot be done online. The Central Camp Registrar must approve and handle all changes of enrollment. Please call or email with your request – registrar@umcamping.org or 833-588-2267.

Q:  Can I get a refund of my deposit?

A: The minimum deposit is not refundable. Your deposit will become a donation to the MAUMC Scholarship Fund, and you will receive a receipt for a tax-deductible donation.

Q: Can I get a refund of any payments I made besides the deposit?

A: Yes, if you cancel two weeks or more before the start day of the camp event. However, if you cancel two weeks or less before the start date, all payments are forfeited.

Q: Can I finish paying by bringing a check to the first day of camp?

A: No – please do not bring payments to camp. All registration fees are processed in our central office in St. Johns. ALL payments must be mailed to MAUMC, 2307 W Maple Rapids Rd St Johns, MI 48879, or must be paid online. Not following this procedure causes delays and errors. If payment is received by mail at least 10 days before camp starts,  processing can be completed by the time your camper arrives at camp. Please remember – NEVER send cash in the mail.

Q: My church is mailing a check to help pay for my camper. To whom should the check be made payable?

A: Make all checks for camp registration fees payable to MAUMC. If a church sends multiple campers, separate checks are preferable. But churches paying for multiple campers may write one check for all, as long as it is accompanied by a notation listing each camper’s name, camp number (or name) and the amount to be credited to each camper. Payments received for campers who are not yet enrolled will be immediately returned to the church. All checks must be mailed at least two weeks in advance of the camp event to MAUMC, 2307 W Maple Rapids Rd St Johns, MI 48879.


Please direct program-related questions to the site director or the event Dean. You’ll find Dean contact information online when you click on the title of the camp in the Events area. Camp phone numbers are on each site’s home page as well as on our Staff page.

Q: My camper has food allergies. Can you accommodate them?

A: In most cases, yes. There is a place to provide this information on the Health Form. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact Director at the site you or your camper will attend. Each site, with contact information, is listed on our Staff page.

Q: If optional activities or classes are offered, can my camper choose those ahead of time?

A: All extra activities are chosen upon arrival at camp. They are not offered in advance of the event.

Q: How many friends can my camper request to room with?

A: No more than two roommates can be requested.

Q: What should I pack for my child to bring to camp?

A: The dean of your child’s camp event will send you a welcome letter and a list of specific things to bring about 3-4 weeks before camp starts. In most cases, a parent packet containing more information will be attached to your confirmation for youth events. For a general list of things to bring, click here.

QHow do I ask specific questions about the facilities or the event my child has chosen?

A: Please contact the Director of the camp site you or your child will attend. Each site, with contact information, is listed on our Staff page.

Q: Does my camper need a doctor’s physical exam before camp?

A: No, an exam is not necessary. You are required by state law, however, to fill out the Health Form online as part of your registration. If you do not fill it out while you register, you will be reminded by email to log in to your account to do so. Campers will not be admitted to camp without a completed online Health Form. You may instead complete a paper form and bring it to check-in on the first day of camp.
Health Form for  children and youth under age 18. 
Health Form for Adults
 over 18.

Q: What is the Release Form and why do I need it?

A: The Release Form is a document signed by you, stating who may pick up your child from camp, either when the event is over, or in case of emergency. This required document is kept on file during your camper’s stay. Your child will not be released to anyone who is not named on the form. As a safeguard, you are also asked to name anyone who specifically may NOT pick up your child. Please download and print this form. Bring the completed form to check-in on the first day of camp. Please do not mail these forms to the Camp Registrar. Online registration includes this information, so if you register online, you do not have to complete the paper form.


For any questions you do not see answered here, please call 833-588-2267.